Are you noticing that you’re not seeing the results you used to, generating sales and connecting with new contacts and potential partners? Perhaps you’re just getting started in an MLM business and wonder if you’ll ever achieve what your mentor has or even the high income earners?
If you can relate to this, chances are you need to step out of your comfort zone. It’s may be hard at first because you’re unfamiliar with something that is unknown to you. It’s too easy to say that we know we should be taking risks in order to achieve success, and then not actually follow through. But by making a decision to build a serious business, and disrupting the status quo (even a little!). You’ll need to take smart risks, and you’ll likely discover you’re better equipped and even keen to “go for it” and not just identify your goals but make them happen.
So where do you start to step outside your comfort zone?
Perhaps your goal is to gain five new customers this week, start your own downline of consultants, or even just reach a certain earning rank this month. In what way should you step out of your comfort zone, and what skills will you learn by doing so that will enable you to achieve your dream?
Here are five ways to step out of your comfort zone that can really improve your business. If you’re feeling adventurous you could try all five, but I’d suggest even trying one and proceeding from there.
1. Take a personal development class or seminar. Taking business risks means the possibility of failure. By taking a personal development class you have to “put yourself out there.” At first it’s scary, but the more you do, the more you’ll have fun with it and be able to laugh the awkward moments off.
These are skills that are needed in business. To be able to talk to someone about your business opportunity or even tell him or her why you believe in your product puts you out there. There’s a chance you may be rejected, and with the skills you’ve learned in the class or seminar, you’ll be better at being able to think on your feet, adapt in awkward situations and laugh off the less than pleasant moments. You’ll also be able to look at rejection as a sign of moving forward and not letting it bother you.
2. Open yourself up to scrutiny. Ask for constructive criticism from your mentor, and feedback from your customers and upline. Tell them you want to improve on the way you serve your group and would like to know what it’ll take for you to reach your goals. It’s a scary thing, to ask others to tell you something you might not be ready to hear. But once the feedback is out there, you’ll be able to process them and consider the areas to work on.
3. Talk to prospects in person or over the phone. Reaching out on Facebook, Twitter and through carefully crafted e-newsletters and online proposals is well and good, they are great medians to get leads but you cannot build a Network Marketing business without the phone. Don’t just be another “person with a pitch” who’s easy to ignore online. Quit hiding behind the computer, get out there and make authentic connections.
4. Attend live events. Most likely, it’ll be one put on by the company you represent, but it might even just be a local business or marketing conference. Look for opportunities to meet others who do what you do, learn from those who have been in your shoes and achieved success, gain new ideas and even take a hard look at your business plan.
5. Remember that life is supposed to be challenging. There will be ups and there will be downs. Sometimes the downs are unavoidable or even self-imposed. Challenging moments often don’t feel good, but they do help you to grow. As a result, you’ll get better at what you do. Accept that life is meant to be a challenge, start saying “no” less and “yes” more and you’ll be amazed at what comes your way.
There are many different exercises and methods for stepping out of your comfort zone. If you’re unsure about where to start, think about an area of your career you’d like to improve on. If nothing is coming to mind, and you feel comfortable, you might be getting complacent. In that case, talk to your mentor first and ask them to suggest an area where you could grow. Then pick a task that will aid in achieving your goal and go for it. And remember: it’s supposed to feel uncomfortable!
I would love to hear how what things you have done to step outside your comfort zone and how you overcame them!
Oh no 5 is a toughie! LOL, j/k Nate on some level because it is tough, but once you sprint out of your comfort zone each day you can embrace this great truth with ease.
People who push themselves daily are better able to deal with the constant changes life serves up to us….great post here!
Great post Nate! Thanks for sharing how to step out of your comfort zone!!! It is a must if you want success!! No doubt about it my friend!!!
Awesome! Thanks Joan!
“Taking Business risks means the possibility of failure.” This statement here is hard for a lot of people to swallow. They want everything to be guaranteed like a paycheck.
But a lot fail to realize that they’re taking risk everyday, especially with keeping a job. Anything can happen! So if you’re going to take risk, why not take the risk of improving your life and going to personal seminars is a great start.
Thanks for sharing these tips Nate!
Awesome quote. You’re correct my friend. Thanks!
Solid tips here Nate!
Especially using the phone (skype) and not hiding behind your PC and ‘opening yourself to scrutiny’, or as I prefer to think of it, being coachable! As a professional coach myself there’s nothing more disheartening than investing a great deal of time and energy into coaching someone for them to resist and ignore any changes they came up with during a coaching session and then repeatedly complain they are not making headway!
Well said Robin! Love your input!
I really enjoyed reading this post.
The thing is that there are a lot of people who are so used to having a job and leaning on that security that they have not broken a comfort zone in years.
It becomes a tough old habit for them to break.
we must realize that when we are comfortable, we are not growing.
What is amazing is that once we start breaking them we feel rejuvenated, inspired and liberated
Onward And Upward To Success
The majority of people can’t answer “yes” to both questions. They’re either pushing their boundaries to the limits and hence are uncomfortable, or they’ve become comfortable and stopped pushing.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂
Awesome list, Nate. There’s obviously no room for adventure and excitement in your comfort zone; in fact, over time you might feel overwhelmed and trapped by boredom and fear. Perhaps it’s time to stretch those limits a little!
Not only will your life become more exciting, but you’ll also build confidence and improve your luck.
Thanks for sharing!
Well said! Thanks Etieno!
The fun and excitement happen outside your comfort zone. Shame many stay locked away inside theirs.
Great info and tips here.
Great Post Nate and great tips to step outside the comfort zone.
I need to work on #3 a lot and get to talk to people on the phone and in person. I spend a lot of time hiding behind my computer as you said and tend to forget that to build a network marketing business we need to network and talk to people. Lots of work needed on this area.
Thanks Nate for sharing this steps to step outside our comfort zones. It is a must and there is no way around it. Have yourself a great week ahead.
Yes, you can build your business online or offline but you can’t build it without the phone. For me, how they come in through Facebook, people I may meet while I’m out in about, other means of social media but the connection on the phone for me never changes. I always make sure I connect. Thanks for the input!
Starting my own business I really stepped outside of my comfort zone and boy I am glad I did. I like the way you said it is suppose to feel uncomfortable. It is like when you exercise, no pain no gain.
Exactly. Thanks Arleen!
Simple but powerful blog post.
Sitting behind a lap top is the easy way out….learning communication skills are essential to growing a network marketing business.
Live events are a great way to fill up the tank with motivation! A must!
Thanks for sharing this reminder of all the ways we can improve and grow beyond our self imposed boundaries.
Sitting behind a laptop or computer is the easy way out but it’s also a death wish to your business. I believe that communication will never be replaced no matter how much people do not want to communicate. God gave us the ability to communicate, yet so many are afraid to or just don’t want to for whatever reasons. I agree with you on live events, they will get you so fired up that you can’t wait to go home and crush it. Definitely a game changer for many people who decide to go to events. Thanks for the input Tonya!
Great stuff Nate! I just experienced the power of #4 Attend the live events. It’s literally the difference between just learning, and moving into the earning phase. Get your team there too and watch the domination take place!
Absoutely, my friends. Lives are changed at events. The big picture is understood at live events. That’s why I never think twice about attending live events because I know that it will take my to the next level. Thanks for the feedback!