Instead of making things complicated with the use of jargons and technical terms, today I would like to share with you Modalities and Representational Systems in the simplest terms possible.
We as humans have five senses, namely, sense of sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste. These senses are termed as ‘modalities’, as these are the different modes on the bases of which we experience things. These modalities also develop our representational systems, as it is on the bases of these modalities that our experiences get represented in our mind and the projection of which we exhibit in our behavior. Therefore, modalities serve as the bases for representational systems.
Besides the exceptional cases of a fragrance assessor or a wine taster, we usually rely on the three modalities, namely, listening, seeing and touching. These three are commonly put into practice and every one of us uses a different modality to form our own representational system. For instance, a musician would rely on sense of listening, whereas a painter would build the representational system on the bases of sight. Besides these three there is another modality as well, and that is the cognitive modality in which people rely on their mind and trust its judgment.
Let me share with you what kind of characteristics do people with different representational systems exhibit.
The representational system of such people is built upon visual and sight. The major characteristics of such people are as follows:
- As these people rely on visual, therefore, they themselves want to be clean and presentable and they expect the same from other people as well. Therefore, those of you who always remain well dressed and praise the dressing and grooming of someone, those have a representational system built on visual and sight.
- In order to memorize things, these people rely on visuals and images, this is why they wish to get insight into things in order to remember them better. Similarly, as its all visual, therefore, such people are highly imaginative and their mind creates all the images.
- They speak fast compared to others as they have pictures in their mind and the thing with pictures is that it speaks a thousand words. Therefore, to present what they have in mind they speak fast.
- Such people are more distracted by visuals than by noise and because of their affiliation with visual, they remember faces better than names.
The representational system of such people is built upon the modality of listening. Some major characteristics of people with such representational system are:
- Such people are very keen when it comes to judging the change in voice tone. So, if any of your friend on the phone judges that you are sad, then it means that he or she has an audio based representational system.
- These people learn things by listening them, on contrary to the others who have to see things demonstrated in order to do them. Moreover, when it comes to remembering or taking direction, such people are more apt because of their reliance on audio.
- Noise is a major distraction for such people, and they are always in search of those who can listen to them and with whom they can share their voice.
These people rely on their sense of touch to develop their representational system. The thing that needs to be kept in mind pertaining to this representational system is that the sense of touch is not limited to the touching only, rather the feeling that touch produces is also an integral part of it. The major characteristics of people with such a system are:
- These people are the sensitive ones, as their touchy feelings are always prominent and dominant in their behavior.
- The purpose of dressing and grooming for them is to make themselves feel comfortable instead of focusing on how they look.
- These people stay close to other in order to feel the energy of the other person and then on the bases of that they proceed with a particular relationship.
This representational system has nothing to do with the senses, rather it all takes place in the mind. These people utilize their mind to make sense of their life. The major characteristics of people from this representational system are:
- These people are always trying to find answers, and making sense of this world and try to figure out how things work and the way they are connected with each other.
- For such people learning is done by working out things in their mind and they don’t need anyone to think over things, rather they do it on their own in their mind.
- These people favor logic and in terms of their behavior in speech, they can often turn out to be absent minded.
Now It’s Your Turn!
Which representational system do you fall in? Have you always been of the same representational system? As always, I love reading your comments. Please feel free to comment below!
To your Success,